About Me

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

If I could create a reality TV show, what would it be about?

My reality show would be about finding the true meaning of happiness.

I was watching Ellen (like I do), and she talked about this documentary called "Happy". The director was on her show, and he shared a beautiful story of how a bike accident completely changed the way he looked at life. The man was a fairly successful director, but even with all his material wealth, he was never really happy. After the bike accident, I guess he kind of stopped and thought, "If I didn't manage to survive that accident, I can't bear the thought that the life I leave behind was full of empty, material fulfillment." So with that, he moved out of his mansion, sold or gave away all of his belongings (I think he kept the bike) and moved into a small shack next to the ocean. Surprisingly, it was there that he found true happiness.

The movie was really eye-opening, seeing different cultures and their perception of true fulfillment. Many of these people owned nothing but a small dwelling and the clothes on their backs. I remember one of those men was a rickshaw driver (it's a mode of transportation where a man pulls people on this cart-type vehicle), and he said that he was the happiest man on earth because he knows his son who loves him is waiting at home.

I love things that are a real and run deeper than artificiality. I think it would be very beneficial to a country like America to witness people who have less than they, but have the upper hand on something else that is harder to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment